Best Oil Filter Reviews 2017 – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide
An oil filter is a very important car part. Although it is replaceable, its role is to remove dirt and contaminants from the engine’s oil. This helps the oil and engine last longer. Most oil filters come in a variety of types, but the most common type is a steel cannister or made of cartridge.
The oil filter is attached to an outlet somewhere near the engine so you can easily replace it. The level of difficulty when it comes to replacing it can vary by model. By giving your car a high quality and low cost oil filter, you can save money in the long run and ensure that the oil pumping through your car is clean and powering your engine. You don’t want dirt damaging your precious car, so it is very important you change the oil and oil filters every so often.
You can go to the auto shop of course. They will do the work for you but the at-home procedure is not that difficult. Learning to do it yourself will save you a lot of money. All you need is a little bit of help finding the best oil filter. You can find a compatible oil with the oil filter of choice to make an unstoppable combo for your car’s engine health!
Oil Filters (Source: Youtube.com)
Top 5 Best oil filter Reviews for cars
Last update on 2017-11-24 PST - Details
Read on to get some inside knowledge of 5 different oil filters. We have a variety of oil filter reviews for different automobiles with a range of models and prices. After you read more about these 5 oil filter reviews, we have a special Buying Guide section so you can understand any part of the oil filter buying process that may confuse you. Once you get the hang of it, buying and replacing the oil filter in your car will become a breeze and you will never have to go back to the auto shop for that reason again.
1. Mobil 1 M1-110 Extended Performance Oil Filter
The oil filter by Mobile is called Extended Performance because they claim to last longer and trap more dirt than other filters. Made from a cartridge filter, it can be used with any motor oil but we recommend using it with Mobil 1 Oil filter or Mobil 1 extended performance motor oils to get the best use out of the filter. We also recommend changing it about every 10,000 to 12,000 miles so it definitely is extended performance.
- Advanced synthetic fiber blend media
- Protects up to 615 pascals per square inch
- Holds 28.0 grams of total capacity contaminants
- Withstands nine times normal system operating pressure
- Prevents dry starts by eliminating internal leakage during shutdown through the use of a silicone anti-drain back valve
- Product Dimensions: 6.8 x 10 x 4.4 inches
- Brand: Mobil 1
- Model: M1-110
- Item Weight: 6.4 ounces
Mobil 1 M1-110 Oil Filter (Source: youtube.com)
2. Subaru Oil Filters & Washers - 6 Pack
Subaru sells a six pack of oil filters that comes with 6 Subaru OEM washers that fits 2009 and up models of 4 cylinder Subaru models. It is a great value item that can also suit WX and STI models from 2014 and up. The washers are great for your drain plug replacements to keep your car running like new.
- Brand: Subaru
- Item Weight: 4 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 6 x 6 x 6 inches
- Comes with 6 oil filters and 6 washers
- H4 SUBARU 1993-2007
- 2002-2012 TURBO MODELS
3. Royal Purple 10-2835 Extended Life Oil Filter
The Royal Purple oil filter effectively filters out 100% of micro-glass media which is best for particle removal. The long filter life and high performance makes it a superior particle remover. It removes particles with 99% filtration efficiency at 25 microns.
It has a by-pass valve for oil flow during situations of excessive filter element flow restriction and it has a heavier shell for more security against punctures from road debris.
It also has an extra heavy duty premium nitrile rubber base gasket. The lubricity compound reduces torque during removal and installation.
The silicone parts makes it better than simple traditional nitrile rubber when it comes to extreme temperatures and the ultra-strength filter endures higher bursts. The makeup of this product has the latest technology filtration system.
- Thicker shell for extra strength
- Catches particles as small as 25 microns
- Metal end-caps provide positive seal for filter element assembly
- Center tube prevents filter element collapse
- 100 per cent screen-back synthetic media provides superior filtration
- Heavy gauge steel back plate for higher burst strength
- Brand: Royal Purple
- Item Weight: 12.8 ounces
- Product Dimensions: 3.1 x 3.1 x 3.6 inches
Royal Purple Oil Filter Review and Specs (Source: youtube.com)
These metal-free oil filters by Mann Filter are made of only one material. They do not create ash during the thermal process. Mann filters always have top quality OEM filter quality.
- Great protection for the engine
- Consistently high separation efficiency
- High dirt holding capacity of filter elements through high filter surface area
- Pleat structuring allows the complete filter surface area to be constantly effective
- Fast replacement with some wrench removal tools
- Brand: Mann Filter
- Item Weight: 1 pound
- Product Dimensions: 3.9 x 3.9 x 4.9 inches
5. Motorcraft FL2016 Oil Filter
The oil filter by Motorcraft model FL2016 has a pressure release valve specifically designed to capture particles best and to keep a steady supply of oil going to your engine even under extreme cold conditions or if the filter gets clogged. The steel classes are ironed for a perfect fit and are rust-resistant plus the oil filter has an anti-drain back valve for heat resistance. This helps prevent dry starts. As if that is not enough, it is backed by a 12 month warranty so you are guaranteed good oil filtration for a year, if not longer
- Protects against the following particles: carbon, sand, dust and bits of metal before they can get into your oil.
- Pressure-relief valves help minimize the chance of contaminated oil circulating back into the engine and helps maintain the supply of oil to the engine under extreme cold conditions. Also helps if the filter gets clogged
- Steel cases are ironed for a great fit in your car plus made fluted for easy remova
- Painted to resist rust
- Efficient filter media offers increased dirt-collecting capability and ability to capture more engine-harming particles
- Captures engine harming particles
- Provided with anti-drain back valve
- Comes with a 12 month warranty
- Resistant to rust and heat
- Brand: Motorcraft
- Item Weight: 6.9 ounces
- Product Dimensions: 1.4 x 1.1 x 0.8 inches
Motorcraft Oil Filter Cut Open (Soure: Youtube.com)
BUYING GUIDE - How to Be a Handyman
You can learn how to be a handyman or handywoman when it comes to oil filters.
Buying an oil filter is actually quite simple. On Amazon and eBay, you will find a toolbar at the top of the page when searching for oil filters where you input your car model, make and year. That is because oil manufacturers will label their filters clearly so the buyer can find the correct replacement. You can go directly to your car owner’s manual and search for an oil filter based on the model number. There may be a number of suitable oil filters but that is the best place to start. That will help narrow down the choices.
We also suggest comparing new oil filters with the original oil filter from the car to ensure you have the proper replacement for your specific car.
TYPES OF FILTERS.
A canister filter is most popular. Canister filters are made with a metal can.
A cartridge filter is the second most popular form. It is primarily made of media and other components to allow for a good fit.
Types of materials do get more complicated than that.
- Screen-backed synthetic media allows for great filtration and have a great flow rate.
- A heavy-gauge steel backplate has a higher burst rate.
- A gasket made of nitrile rubber reduces torque during removal and installation.
- A silicone anti-drain valve removes oil drain-back and outlasts nitrile rubber.
GOOD, BETTER AND BEST.
Companies will create their specific type of oil filter in a good model, a better model and the best model. This allows everyone to choose what fits their budget. If you use a synthetic oil, you will need a high-end oil filter. If you want to be able to go a long time without changing the oil, you will also need a higher-end oil filter. It’s as simple as that.
SIZE. Like we mentioned, oil filters come application-specific. Just because an oil filter looks bigger does not mean that it is better. Pay attention to the quick facts we mentioned here and look at reviews, price, quality, media used, etc and don’t buy based on size.
The Bottom Line
All of the oil filters we reviewed today have almost five stars on Amazon, so how do you choose which one is the right one when there are so many well-reviewed oil filters available for purchase online? Today we reviewed 5 oil filters with great marks and each with their own strengths as an oil filter. With different medias, different filtration systems, different brands and different prices. They may all seem very different!
As we have briefly mentioned, it is very important not to mention extremely useful to use the tool at the top of marketplace websites such as Amazon and eBay that allows you, as the user, to input your car model and make and year. Using these details, the website will list oil filters that work with your specific car! Not every oil filter works for every year or every model so it is crucial you check compatibility.
Which is the Best Oil Filter?
Last update on 2017-11-24 PST - Details
We suggest the Royal Purple 10-2835 Extended Life Oil Filter. For less than twenty dollars, you receive 100 per cent screen-back synthetic media provides superior filtration from this oil filter. The filter system uses technology to create a specialized filtration system that catches particles as small as 25 microns.
Customers all around the world that believe they saved money from purchasing this item. They used it on Toyota, Lasers, Dakotas and many other makes so we believe it is a very versatile oil filter. You can go a really long time without needing to change the oil when using this oil filter.
Buy it here-- Royal Purple 10-2835 Extended Life Oil Filter
Finding a great oil and oil filter combination gives you peace of mind as a driver or as a passenger! It may seem overwhelming at first but with time you will find the combination that keeps your car running smoothly and a long time in between oil changes. And once you can do it all yourself, you will save a ton of cash from needing to go to the auto shop all of the time! It improves fuel economy and peace of mind.
The automotive world has a lot of available information online so fidning information is not difficult put putting that ifnormation to good use can be! With our recommendations and Buying Guide, you can become the Handyman that hanges the oil and oil filters to keep the car running smoothly for years and miles to come.
Image credits: Amazon.com